May 17, 2007

Puppy Gumbo Recipe

Since that horrible outbreak of death food for animals, I've taken extra precautions on what I feed my dogs. While I don't raw feed I do choose carefully what my dogs eat. I called the dry food company, Nutrisource, out of Minnesota to ensure its safety. Secondly any "wet" food that my dogs scarf down is made by me!

...Gotta love me some of dat puppy gumbo...Teiko

Puppy Gumbo is what I call cleaning out the refridgerator of left-overs. My dogs love the "real" food and I like that I know what my pups are eating. Puppy Gumbo contains any of the following items and is different everytime, depending on what I have available.
  • Bones: from what ever you have handy (chicken, duck, beef, deer)
  • Meat: I use fish, venison, beef, bison, pork, turkey, chicken and even shrimp skins. Really, it's whatever's sitting in the refridge.
  • Vegetables: potatoes, pumpkin, squash, carrots, garlic, celery, brocoli, mushrooms - whatever you want to clean out of the drawer.
  • Grains: rice, barley, couscou, pasta, again whatever is sitting around.

Directions: Assemble any or all of the above ingredients, depending on what your pups like and what's laying around. Start the gumbo by cooking the bones and hearty vegetables with a 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for a two hours. When the stock is rich in color, add the soft veggies and grains and simmer until veggies are soft. Discard the bones. I will keep one container in the fridge while the others go to the freezer or to my family. To serve: add 1 or 2 tablespoons of gumbo to each cup of dry kibble for extra deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...