July 17, 2007

Art in the garden

As many of you know, my favorite local artist is Ellis Nelson, a Muscoda welder who over the past 30-odd years has created folk art sculptures out of recycled metal. Many times it is of a crane, egret or other graceful bird, but he also does whimsical shaped pieces as well. Pictured above is one of my garden favorites for its curved lines and symetry.

I got my first sculpture when I was about 18 years old. Since then I've collected about 15 pieces. ( I have them throughout the garden, house and even in a few trees...) Another favorite sculpture is of the grim reaper which has been one of Ellis' reoccuring themes over the years.
A good Madison source for Ellis' artwork is at the Bindley Gallery at Hilldale. The Bindleys have been long time family friends and the first to introduce me to Nelson's artwork. Also, you can always take a drive out to Muscoda and stop by Ellis' welding shop where his latest creations are available for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...