April 7, 2008

Did my Taxes today

I've been putting off the tax thing since January.

Last year I owed almost $1,000 and got fined by the IRS by the tune of $9.

So going with the old adage - Once burned - twice shy - you can understand my hesitancy to log into turbo tax this year and get going on all the supposed fast refunds coming my way....

Having learned a hard lesson, I made some adjustments last year (mainly giving the gov more money on a monthly basis) but still claiming my full-time college daughter.

But guess what I found out two months ago? College daughter made too much money last year. I can't claim her. That's the fear of every red-blooded America Parent. I lost my dependent, my guaranteed tax deduction. Now what the hell do I do? I haven't filed single/no-dependents in 21 years.

Finally this weekend, I logged in to turbo tax (the keeper of my taxes for a few years) and tentatively enterered my income and deductions for 2007. First round, went to the IRS. I owed money, however to the state I could get a small refund.

Not satisfied, I did some more research. Guess what, you can actually split mortgage interest with others when you itemized your deductions. With that, it bumped my return into the positive!

I'm now getting a refund. That's a major WIN in my book..

Here's hoping everyone gets a refund or owes the IRS less than $50 - Because, taxes should really be more simple and fair. Don't get me wrong, I want to pay my fair share, but I'd rather owe a little than have the IRS take my money and not pay me interest for a whole year.


P.S. Thought a lovely photo of a second-year orchid would warm your heart. It sure did mine while I was doing my taxes!

1 comment:

  1. That's why you should vote for Gravel 2008!
    He wants the fair tax! Get rid of the income tax! Or at least make it easier.
    ... I wish Edwards had won the dems. Sadness.
    Oh well.

    Also, I found a cool blog, http://cookingmonster.com/
    it has some pretty cool recipes. You should check it out.

    If you couldn't tell by the Gravel plug, this is Ryann.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...