October 20, 2008

Why I'm voting for Barack Obama

I've been voting in presidential elections since 1984, when as an 18-year college student, I was inspired by the historic nomination of Geraldine Ferraro as the Democratice Vice President nominee. (Mondale was all right...) I saw the dawning of an energized and enlightened country, I saw hope for the young and idealistic - like all those 60s people I had learned about in school.

In 1984, I volunteered for the Mondale/Ferraro campaign, I called voters, I knocked on doors, I rallied. But to no avail. Reagan won the election in a landslide and it's been bushies and clinton ever since.

As I "grew up" I became less inspired with each subsequent presidential election. To the point, I just never was excited, connected or committed. I also never volunteered, nor gave money, nor did I ever endorsed a presidential candidate.

That changed this year. For the first time in almost 25 years, I am excited about this presidental election. And more importantly, I'm engaged. I volunteer, I give money to this candidate, I hand out really cute Obama pins! I want the man to be president for so many reasons. And I can sum it up in five words:

Integrity, Honesty, Hope, Promise and Change.

Now some of you, may not agree with the words or the order, but this is what I believe our country needs in its leader right now. And I believe as so many other Americans do that Obama has these.

So finally, I get to be excited about a presidential candidate again. And that feels very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...