Threw a batch of beef stew together tonight in 25 minutes (minus the 2.5 hours of stewing time....) It is absolute beefy and delicious goodness! Of course, I made enough to feed an army, but it should freeze well.
All veggies coarsely chopped:
2 cups of onions
1 cup of carrots
1 cup red potatoes
1 cup celery
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1/2 cup red wine
1lb. stew meat
1 beef soup bone
1/2 cup flour (put in plastic bag, add salt and pepper to season)
Cut meat into 1 inch pieces. Add to bag and shake. set aside.
4 cups of liquid (broth, beer, water, etc)
Extras (if desired...or add your own):
1.5 tbs beef bouillon if using water, like I did.
1/2 cup tomato juice (or one can of diced tomatoes....)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
Grain: 1/2 cup barley
Steak sauce to season.
Preparation: 25 minutes
1. Heat dutch oven on medium high, bring to heat and put 2 tsp olive oil. Add 1 cup of onions and carrots. Saute. As onions begin to sweat, add soup bone and brown. Once veggies are cooked, add 1/4 cup red wine to deglaze. Remove veggies if desired.
2. Add floured stew meat to pan and sear.. Do this for 7-10 minutes. Meat will brown. onions and carrots will caramelize, if left in. Add 1/4 cup wine to deglaze.
3. Add garlic, potatoes and celery and cook for a few minutes.
4. Add water, stir and bring up any bits of frond still left at the bottom of the pan. Add bouillon, stir.
5. Add thyme, seasonings, steak sauce and/or tomato.
6. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 2 hours.
7. Add mushrooms and barley. simmer for 30 more minutes
8. Dish up a thick, beefy stew and enjoy!
Note: It's the soup bone that give the depth to the taste. The longer it cooks, the better....