March 31, 2008

'A truly great man': Milt McPike dies at 68

I was one of the lucky ones. During the 1980s, Milt McPike, was almost a daily presence for my classmates and me during our four years at East High School. Mr. McPike was the head principal but more importantly, he was a true leader to a socially and economically diverse high school on the eastside of town.

With over 2,000 students, he managed to know just about all of our names. And if he couldn't place it right away, he definitely knew what grade you were in, activities in which participated and if there was any trouble.....

It didn't matter to Mr. McPike whether you were black, asian, hispanic, white, rich or poor. When you were in his school - he treated everyone the same - with dignity, with respect and with just a tad bit of patience for teenaged mistakes. It was also the expectation of Mr. McPike's that you treated everyone else the same way.

When I look back to my high school years, I wonder how that man actually got any administration work done, as he always seemed to be walking the halls, surrounded by students, telling stories, hearing ours, giving hugs and being a supportive part of our lives.

In the coming days, there will be thousands of tributes from students and the community he touched during his life - And this man deserves every accolade that will be said.

Mr. McPike had such an influence in the way I see the world, the way I value my community, how I raised my children, and how I learned to believed in my own abilities.

Thank you Mr. McPike. You were a true teacher.

Rylee - Class of 1984

4 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. McPike in the 80's when my son was a student there. He was truly a kind, thoughtful human being

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice photo tribute to Mr. McPike is up at www.lassreport.org/usa/wi/madison/ehs/1985

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but the link doesn't work. I tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it is up at www.classreport.org/usa/wi/madison/ehs/1985

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...