May 2, 2008

Beef Tips and Handmade Egg Noodles

The good first. The egg noodles that I made the other night were absolutely delish. They take about an hour to make from start to finish and were fun to roll out and cut with a pizza cutter. The recipe is simple (2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp of baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt and 3 eggs ) - cut the dry ingredients together add the eggs and any water needed. Using the hook in the mixer, knead for a few moments until it forms a solid ball of dough) On a floured surface, roll out until as thin a noodle as desired. Using a pizza cutter, cut the noodles to 2 inch lengths. Let dry for an hour or so. Boil water, drop the noodles in, cook for 5-7 minutes. Done. Awesome noodles. These taste so much better than store bought.
Now the sad part. I pulled down a beef tips and noodle recipe from Allrecipes.com. Ususally a good source for quick dinner recipes. Following the recipe, I browned tenderloin in the pan. To it, I added the following: 3/4 cup water, 3/4 cup red wine, 2 tbs of beef base, 1/4 tsp thyme and garlic, salt and pepper. The color was rich, dark and the smell was wonderful. I let it simmer for about 40 minutes. To it I then added lightly sauteed mushrooms and 1 tbs of cornstarch to thicken the sauce.

So far so good, except Raine tastes the sauce and calls out, "Mom, this is really salty!". Not sure what exactly happened, we all sat down for dinner and ate this beautiful looking dinner while our blood pressures all spiked from the salt. Todd asked me how much salt I used (a pinch) and then asked how much beef base (2 tbs) . And that was how I found out that 2 tablespoons of beef base is about 1.5 tablespoons too much.

I now know that beef base goes a long way and I'll never use tablespoons for that measurement ever again......

1 comment:

  1. This happened to me the other day for a steak marinade. I added no additional salt to the recipe, but the soy sauce must have been the culprit. I added a bit of butter and olive oil to the pan to soften the salt, but it had already incorporated during the marinade period, which was only about and hour or so. I'll take your experience and my own and always down any salty component in a recipe. The dish looks delish as I am looking now for a good recipe to do up some beef and noodles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...