June 25, 2008

Seeing the past

I love this picture of crocks sitting in the window of an 1840's farm house in Lake Placid NY. As a teenager I started collecting Red Wing Crocks and bowls. I even belonged to the Red Wing Collectors society for a brief stint in my 20s. I love the longevity of crocks. It's amazing to use something that has been around for a hundred years. Today the crocks and bowls that are around are all in use. Smaller crocks hold pens, kitchen utensils and small orchids. The larger crocks have big plants and are used as kindling boxes. The crock bowls we use everyday for mixing. Yeah, sure a crock will break or get cracked once in a great while but to not use such a utilitarian object is a shame, in my book. I have mixing bowls that belonged to my great grandmothers. Again, another connection to the past, I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...