August 18, 2008

Where to find a cheap and good food store

I’ve been shopping at the Aldi grocery store for a good 10 years. There’s been one in Madison since the early 90s, but I really started using this store when I lived in Holland in the early 2000s. This German company has discount food stores throughout Holland. On a weekly basis, I would go to Aldi, put my 1 Guilder coin in the shopping cart to release it from the chain of carts, bring my own bags and go to town on buying the household basics. The prices where always the lowest while the quality was quite high.

When we moved back the states, I continued being a committed Aldi shopper. At least once a month, I buy my basics like olive oil, (voted the best in Holland for several years running) at $4 a bottle, baking supplies, fresh orange juice, produce and German and Belgian chocolates.

This weekend, I found a package of two turkey breasts marinated in a Dijon sauce for around $3.50. Tonight I cut them into medallions, browned them, sautéed mushrooms, onions, added white wine, cream and butter to finish off the sauce. The meat was absolutely tender, and melted in the mouth.

If you have an Aldi in your city, give it a try. It’s nothing fancy, everything is boxed and set on pallets for the most part, however, the quality and price is just right. If you can’t get to an Aldi, you can always try its sister store, Trader Joes. This store is the purveyor to the wine and cheese set who love eclectic and upscale foods. And yep, the Albrecht family in Germany own both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...